Feb 21, 2014

Splurge Worthy: To spend or not to spend?

,
Hey guys!

Hope everyone's had a wonderful week. This weeks blogger challenge involved writing about high-end versus drugstore (or generic) products. And the question at hand is, is it always worth spending the extra money?

In my opinion it boils down to what we are splurging on, and in too many cases I find that our priorities aren't quite where they're supposed to be.

I'm sure you've read somewhere what beauty or clothing products are worth splurging on and I'm not here to say that they're entirely not. What I do however want to emphasis today is that true splurge-worthy things ought to involve making us better people.

What Can You Afford?

Source
There are a number of courses and seminars that I've personally wanted to attend along with traveling, but too often I've said I can't afford this. Then there are bigger wants like starting your own company (which I'm sure involves a number of expenses). I bet though if I were to really plan and put my mind to it, I could find a way to make it work.

The same goes for a number of other ventures that for one reason or another we've convinced ourselves we can't afford, yet $100 for a beauty product is "worth the money". (I hear my mom say 'every little bit counts, and it does add up', lol.). I know $100 is a far cry from $1000, and sometimes we simply deserve to treat ourselves, just keep in mind what you're giving up in it's place. (As a former finance/econ major, I'm far too aware of 'opportunity costs', lol). 

Invest in You!

Ultimately what is truly splurge worthy is YOU, and that is the point I want to come across.  Next time you go shopping ask yourself, will this make a difference in my life 1, 2, 5 years from now? Obviously not every purchase needs to be evaluated this way, however the times when you feel like you're making an "investment" in something, I do think it's a worthwhile exercise.

Listed below are just a couple of things you could consider before you open up your wallet:
  • Calculate the cost per wear (not for everyone, but has helped some)
  • Shop around - Find the best deal/promotion out there
  • Assess your needs versus your wants (Will say though that certain wants, although not an immediate need, can benefit you in many ways in the long run and therefore sort of can be considered needs)
  • Plan ahead - Try to avoid impulse buys
At the end of the day we all evaluate life and its splurges differently. Just be true to who you are and don't try to "keep up with the Jones'". Buyers remorse isn't cool under any circumstances and can often be avoided if you just do you :)
Then He said, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own." (Luke 12:15 NLT)
Bless & Love Y'all!

Stay Pretty & Precious, 
Peace

2 comments: