May 24, 2013

Beautiful - Self-esteem & Self Acceptance

,
Self-esteem. What is it about this, that we ladies seem to struggle with on and off through different periods of our life? Why are we so hard on ourselves and nitpick every single hair-strand?

Someone said something to me today, a stranger at that (why do I care about their opinion??) But it just triggered an array of emotions and insecurities that I've had (and to a degree still have I guess) about how I look.

Courtesy of beautlifestyle.wordpress.com
All my life I've been skinny, small, slender, whatever you want to call it. And along with that I have a babyface. Who ever said though that's it's ok to tell someone struggling to put on weight "Well just go eat" or in response to me expressing my dislike for my small figure, "go get some real problems". Like seriously??

I feel people take me less seriously because I look like a kid. I'm not a kid! Lol. I don't know, it's just frustrating. 

What gave me a real does of reality today though was speaking to a girl whom I came to find out has alopecia. This young lady went from having waist long hair to becoming completely bald.  Thing is, she's as pretty as a butterfly. Her hair has grown back a bit, but I know it cannot have been easy to go through what she's been through. Specially for a girl, our hair is such an adornment to who we are, our "crown of glory". 

I'm reminded of India Arie's song "I am not my hair" and as much as that is true, why are we so consumed with what our hair, and everything else for that matter, looks like? Now, I am a firm believer in putting your best foot forward and presenting your best self, however as much as we do this, somehow it's never enough.

Courtesy of charsiew.tumblr.com
The bible says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps 139:14) and because God's word is true, He can't lie, I accept this as my truth. I just wish everyone else could get the memo, and stop commenting on how little or how much I way. 

Don't let anyone tell you you're not beautiful or special. Because Jesus thought you're to die for :)

Bless and Love Y'all!

Stay Pretty & Precious, 
Peace

0 comments to “Beautiful - Self-esteem & Self Acceptance ”

Post a Comment