Feb 12, 2013

Fat Tuesday!

,
A traditional Swedish Semla
Today is Fat Tuesday! Also known as Mardi Gras.  Apparently the name refers to the practice of eating richer and fattier foods the day before Ash Wednesday which is the first day of lent when Catholics tend to fast in some shape or form.  Although I'm a christian, I'm not catholic, but I know of Fat Tuesday because in Sweden where I grew up, the day is observed by eating a traditional sweet roll filled with whipped cream and almond paste, called a 'Semla'.  It's really good :)

I can only get a hold of a Semla at IKEA's restaurant. It's not quite the same though, and days like this I'd love to fly back to Sweden (8 hours), enjoy my traditional treat, and fly back home, lol. None of my family lives with me here in Canada, (other than hubby and the kids) and from time to time I do get home sick. Whenever that happens I remind myself why I moved in the first place. Growing up I always knew I wanted to move to North America, and having the guts to follow my dreams with 2 kids in tow, to a place I'd never been, is something I'm really proud of.

Following your dreams may not always be easy, but I'd personally rather live knowing I tried than living with regrets and 'what ifs'.  Sacrifices are a part of life, you just have to figure out what's worth more. What we in finance refer to as an opportunity cost. (Finance major, sorry, lol).

Having said all that, I encourage everyone to really follow your dreams.  Life is to short to live with regrets.  What's the worst that can happen? You fail.  But at least you tried, you gave it a shot, and I'm certain that even if the outcome isn't what you expected, there are a ton of life lessons that you'll have picked up along the way.  Live a life you love, and love the life you live! And if you like, have some delicious (and sometimes fatty) food along the way :)


0 comments to “Fat Tuesday!”

Post a Comment